Mediocre Night Plus HATS!

by Julie
Published on: October 28, 2011
Comments: 18 Comments

Phenon had a perfectly mediocre night.  Pain management was better, but still plenty of sleep disrupters.  But she did get periods of decent sleep.  This morning, the sad news that the chest tube will not be coming out today.  We were really hoping the chest tube was coming out today.  Visitors will help lessen the blow!

In the meantime, I’m getting harassed (ahem, I mean lovingly prodded) to put up more of a wishlist.  We truly don’t need anything else because y’all have so generously and lovingly taken care of all of our needs (other than, of course, making the f’ing lymphoma retreat PRIOR to chemo – get that done, people!!).  However, overnight I realized one more thing we could use some help with.  During my tour of the oncology treatment floor yesterday, I talked with the social worker about the loss of hair.  She said that is always the biggest blow, especially for a teen girl.  I would think most especially for Phenon, who has had so much joy expressing herself with her hair (special thanks to Cheryl who brought hair color spray to the hospital!  Thinking that might be another boost today…).  The social worker said that most girls get a wig, and wear it twice.  It’s just too itchy and uncomfortable, and it doesn’t look real to anyone anyway.  After that, most girls go with hats.  So, our community, I thought maybe you could pour on the hats?  Or the bandanas?  Or anything else you think might help her rock the bald for a little while?

For my part, I’ve started the knitting plan.  She has already picked a hat and yarn in the hospital, so that one has begun.  But in my early morning obsessing at home with Rowan, I’ve come up with my own wish list.  Here are some of the hats I’ll be making her (plus the one at the top of this post).

I’ve made a wish list of yarns, all from KnitPicks.  So, my friends, if you’d help me get the yarn, I’ll get the knitting needles a-flyin’.  Does that work for you as a wish list?

• 2 skeins Felici self-striping sock yarn in color: Goth
  • 2 skeins Comfy fingering yarn in color: jalapeno
  • 2 skeins Simply Cotton sport yarn in color: limeade heather
  • 2 skeins Chroma fingering yarn in color: lollipop
  • 2 skeins Simply Cotton sport yarn in color: mandarin heather
  • 2 skeins Comfy fingering yarn in color: white

Thanks, everyone.

18 Comments
  1. Grammy and Papito says:

Phenon,
    Your mama made me 4 hats when I lost my hair after chemo. They’re now yours!
    Love, Grammy

2. Melissa says:

buy yarn? twist my arm!!! I’ll head to knit & stitch in the a.m. I would knit, but as a beginner, it would be 5 years in the making…
    melissa

• Julie says:

Hey – thank you! But these are only on-line – I know I’m horrid for not patronizing my LYS (local yarn store) but I’ve found that knit picks machine washable stuff is cheaper and holds up better than the really nice stuff. Thanks though, Melissa!

3. Lorelei says:

I don’t know if you’ve heard of Flair for Hope, but this seems right up Phenon’s alley

I have lots of glamour yarn, and think I can get some inside track on how-tos if you think she’d be interested. Send colorways and I’ll get on it.

4. kay and caitlin says:

I take it Phenon isn’t being released today? Just checking because Caitlin would like to visit her Sat night or Sun morn, if possible. Mailing little get well gift to your home today – so check box later if you have a moment.

• Julie says:

Yes , Kay, we are sad to report no getting out today. Possibly not until Monday or Tuesday, though there’s still a sliver of hope for late Sunday departure. Phenon would love to see Caitlin .

5. Chandra says:

Karen, Zev & I have ordered the yarn. We were going to only do a couple of colors but they are all so yummy we couldn’t choose, so we got them all! We love you all so much, thinking of you constantly, sending healing vibes your way. Zev sends lots of coos and some of his sneaky side-smiles. Giant, giant hugs to all!

• Melissa says:

how great of you! ok., so I need another list now…

• Julie says:

You’re very sweet, Melissa! Another friend just gave me a list of reasons our wish lists are inadequate! So sad. Who’d have thought I’d suck so bad at this part? She suggested maybe gift certificates for gas or groceries? Or a gift certificate for a restaurant that delivers? But truly, it all the attention and support that are really the best help. knowin we’re. It gonna have to face this by ourselves.

• Julie says:

That is so great – thank you! And I had fun talking to Al this morn about Zev’s arrival. It would so cheer us all up if you sent pics of y’all and Zev! Phenon has been oohing and aahing over the little babies in the floor…

6. Kim Miller says:

What do you think of a bandana party? Cloth, bling, paint pens… let Phenon and her friends lay in a supply of headwear? I’d be happy to pick up supplies.

• Julie says:

She said she thinks that sounds cool. – thanks for the idea? Maybe once she’s back home?

• Kim Miller says:

Perfect… that’ll give me time to gather up a good supply. If she thinks of anything specific she’d like, drop me a note.

7. melissa says:

Griffin would like to visit this weekend as well. I’ll coordinate with Laurie and other fkes pack, as he says he wants to be part of a group. Ok by you?

8. Anne (Yasna's mom) says:

Julie,would it be OK if Yasna visited Phenon on Sunday? Take care, Anne

9. Marissa says:

Julie,

Were you able to get all the yarn you needed? My MIL is visiting from Boston and lives near a pretty huge yarn store that she frequents – if there’s anything you need for us to have her pick up (or patterns or anything), let me know.

Marissa (from BF)

10. Fredric says:

On retrouve également des huiles esterifiées, de l’extrait
    de graine de kinoa qui va renforcer la barrière cutanée, de l’extrait de feuille d’ambiaty qui protège les jonctions dermo-épidermiques et de l’extrait
    d’ecorce de katafray qui tonifie la peau.

Comments are closed.